Rules on Reviewing
First off, you should know I only have a limited amount of time, so I can't review a hundred novels at once. Sorry, but that's basic physics for you. If I agree to review your novel, you may have to wait a while for me to get around to it, and then I'll need time to read it. I only review hard copies.
Please note that I have a preference for science fiction. If I get multiple requests and only one of them is science fiction, guess which one I'll choose.
- If it's traditionally published, I'll probably buy it (if I'm not broke at the time - feel free to offer a free copy anyway )
- If it is self-published, or through a publisher that uses print-on-demand, you'll have to send it to me. Sorry, I live on a tight budget and I'm reluctant to risk my money on something that doesn't look like it's gone through the filters of an agent, publisher and editor.
- If it is self-published, make sure the grammar is up to publishing standard, it is spell-checked and you're not making lots of common noob errors
- I rarely review collections or anthologies
- You must request a review - they don't happen automagically (although sometimes, magic does happen)
- If I think my comments would harm your career, I won't publish them. If you have a thick skin, you can get a personal copy (but I probably never finished it - I don't continue to read something I'm not enjoying).
- Don't get pushy if you begin to sense inertia. If I agreed to do it, I'll get around to it as soon as I can. I'll email you to let you know when it's done, and usually will tell you when I begin your novel.
- I don't do Romance, Erotica or Romantica. A romantic element is fine, but not if it is the main thrust of the story.
- Put your email address in the body of the comment so I don't have to rummage around the disk looking for it (trust me, nobody else will ever see it)
Once a review has been completed, I'll post it in the review section of this blog, on my FB page and on Amazon.
To request a review, simply fill out the comment form below. Only I will see it. Don't forget to leave a real email address in the body of the message or it'll be difficult to talk to you (the message system hides the address in the email input). Mention the title and the genre, and where it is available from (e.g. Amazon, Lulu, iTunes etc). There's no need to put a link to the book on these sites.